Wednesday, December 9, 2015

How Alarming

So our house has an alarm system that I must admit I have not been using, since I cannot find the sheet of instructions. Our friend, Rocky is visiting us, and since he knows a lot about all things technical, I put him to helping me figure out how to set it. The labels on the buttons and digital readout are in Spanish. There was a symbol with a line that went to two buttons, the * and the #, like you should push them together. So, we did - and did again, since the first time didn't seem to do anything, then did one more time just for luck. Nothing happened, except now, the Listo (Ready) button has gone off. So Rocky goes onto the internet to try to find the manual. I went upstairs and all of a sudden there is loud pounding on the outside door. I start to go to the door calling out "un momento", realize that I don't have a key, so back to get Rocky. Now there is extremely loud and heavy, insistent pounding on the door-like beating down the door, so Rocky and I agree that he should open the door, since we do not have any idea who is there.
It is two policia in black uniforms with full assault weapons. They asked a few questions like "Who are you?", "Do you live here?" "What is your name and your age?" Who owns the house?". Then the lead guy tells us that we set off the panic alarm. That is why they are here. So we explained what happened, as best we could. After figuring out that we are stupid gringos, they took the information and left. I had to call the landlady and let her know what we had done so she could get the system reset.
At least we had a good excuse for being late to meet Newt at the Terrazo Bar.

Sorry not to be able to provide a photo of the policia with their terrifying guns, but thought it might be pushing my luck to ask them to pose).

No comments:

Post a Comment