Tuesday, May 27, 2014


My Nightly Prayer


Now I lay me down to bed

My net tucked round my feet and head.

Enshrouded by a womb of white,

I snuggle down to sleep till light.

 

In blissful sleep I lay, so unaware

Of millipedes and spiders lurking near;

Beyond the safety of the net

The scorpion’s stealth has lost its threat.

 

I waken in the dark of night, it’s clear

I must turn on a light

To know just where to put my toes

Without encountering beastie foes.

 

I must turn on the bathroom light

To frighten creatures of the night

Who in this indoor/outdoor space

Crawl, fly and hop their nightly race.

 

Is there a to-ke on the mirror?

A jumpy frog beneath the seat?

A spider hiding on the roll of toilet paper?

I know this is my  biggest fear!

 

With disregard of my dear mate

Still in our bed so fast asleep,

I bang the door, turn on the lights

To chase beasties out to the night.


So now I lay me back in bed,

Retuck the net about my head,

Check that the sides are oh so tight

And close my eyes till morning light.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment